Dark Recon Game Devlog 1

I don’t know where to start. It’s been a long time since the last time I ever talked about this project, and even a close friend thought it was a dead project. Yes, it was abandoned, not dead; at least that’s what I like to think.

Anyways, the last time I worked on Dark Recon was two years ago and I was getting my hands dirty with Unity. I didn’t know much about it, and I certainly didn’t have the programming skills I have today.

Long story short, La Vaca Mariposa Digital Ensemble is a two-man shop, Julian Rojas Millán and I, working together as friends since 2011. Our first game is called Condor and we’re still developing a couple of games that used to be one (more on this in future logs).

We started the development using XNA, and later we decided to move everything to Unity not only in favor of level design, but also for deployment and support. We didn’t have the knowledge we have today, and it took us a while in order to figure out “the correct” way of doing certain things.

The project stopped, it was handled by other programmer for a while, and now we’re retaking it with new skills, perspectives and goals. That said, we decided to start from scratch, just maintaining ideas from last years’ playtest. In a couple of hours (~3-4, to be more precise) we went from zero to:

  • Unity project configuration
  • Bitbucket configuration
  • Slack configuration and Bitbucket binding
  • Basic movement, collisions, and physics for the “force gun

The next step would be to re-organize the first milestone on Trello. In the meantime, enjoy the GIF.

dr0.2

Also, this is a list of things that we had trouble or didn’t know well enough a couple of years ago.

  • When dealing with collision between two objects, one of them must have the Rigidbody component attached
  • Moving an object with Rigidbody component attached, without messing with collisions, requires adding force to or changing the velocity of the aforementioned component
  • Better response with keyboard is tuned using the Input Manager

I’m really happy that we have improved as individuals and maybe we weren’t up to the task of completing this ambitious project at the time it was conceived. Julian has improved his portfolio as a 3D artist, I’m a better programmer with a better understanding of gameplay programming, iterative development and artificial intelligence as a means to entertain.

No Comments Yet.

Leave a Reply